Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Nummy Tangerine Chicken Stir-Fry

I would like to share an amazing recipe that I cooked for my family last night. We had a friend bring us over about a dozen fresh tangerines that grow in her backyard. I didn't even google "Tangerine recipes" because I know a girl with a wonderful website that would help me find the perfect way to use my tangerines in a dinner- InspiredRD.com. I just wrote on the her facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/#!/inspiredrd) asking for a great dinner recipe with tangerines, and she responded immediately!

Anyways, here is the recipe and it serves 2-4 people-

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into bit sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
2 cups snow peas
4 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 4 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable cocktail or 2 tablespoons tomato juice
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tangerine, juice of
1 tangerine, zest of
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 large tangerines
3 cups bean sprouts
Change Measurements: US Metric

Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins

Directions-
1 Heat oil in a wok or fry pan. Saute chicken until almost cooked through.
2 Add pepper and snow peas to the pan, and fry until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
3 Mix together aminos, juice, water, paste, zest and juice of tangerine and cornstarch, then add tot he pan and stir until thickened.
4 Peel and cut tangerines into segments, and add to pan with bean sprouts. Cover for a few minutes if you like your sprouts on the more tender side (as I do).

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/tangerine-chicken-stir-fry-gluten-casein-free-206108#ixzz1Bc2iD2S2


It was outstanding, and a cinch to put together. And gluten-free of course. The hardest part was gathering the ingredients. I had no idea where to get snow peas. Never used 'em before. I searched in the produce section, then the frozen veggies section, then the canned veggies section. Nothin'! No snow peas. So I did what any modern-day twenty-something would do. I got out my iPhone and googled "where to find snow peas in a grocery store" and the first line to pop up in the search results was, "snow peas/sugar snaps can be found..." Uggghhhh, back to the produce section...

Now it was time to rather the bean sprouts. Never used those before either. It was the exact same search as the snow peas, until I googled the exact same thing. Ah-ha! The results pointed me right to the Asian food section. And what the heck is vegetable cocktail?! Google told me that it is V8 juice, so I got an entirely too big of a can of it- I hate V8. I just so happened to have gluten-free soy sauce in my pantry, and all the other ingredients were self-explanatory, so I was set! Definitely worth the hour spent in the grocery store, but I'm still using the "I'm a rookie cook" excuse for that one!


Finished Product -



2 comments:

  1. Snow peas and sugar snap peas aren't the same thing. Snow peas would probably work better for this because they aren't as puffy. They also aren't as sweet, but I don't think that would matter with this recipe. You can usually find both at Walmart (don't know if you are against it or not) in the produce aisle. I love to eat them raw. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked the recipe! Snow peas are like sugar snap peas but flatter.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!