Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Public Restrooms

I know a lot of people out there have phobias of public restrooms. I am not one of those. However, I do come across awkward/uncomfortable situations in public restrooms from time to time.

We have all been in a stall that has it's own sink in it. This is the handicap stall, and when it's the only stall open, you have no choice but to pray a disabled person doesn't wheel in while you're doin' your business and try to get out of there really fast. But this is not the awkward situation I'm talking about this time. Have you ever been in a stall with it's own sink, washed your hands before exiting, and then walked straight past the "outer" sinks and a line of people who you just KNOW are judging you for not washing your hands? I know I judge EVERY stranger that I see skip the sink, and make a mental note not to give them a random high-five if I cross paths with them again.

I always feel the need to walk out of a handicap stall and say something like, "Man, that water in that SINK in there sure is COLD! My hands are so cold from WASHING them!" Another solution I have come up with is to carry out the paper towel I use to dry my hands in the stall and make a very obvious scene about throwing it away when I come out. I have even gone as far as washing my hands in a handicap stall, walking out and immediately realizing the situation, and then given my hands another good washing just for show. That's just too much work. Too much time. Who has that kind of time?

I guess this post is just to make others who have been in this same situation more comfortable. SOMEONE has to be the voice. You're not alone.

Hope you have been smiling today! (And washing those nasty hands)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!